The Saucy Skirt Sewalong is the first skirt Sewalong from The Creative Curator – and it’s a skirt sewalong with a difference! 😉
You see, in this skirt sewalong, you will be creating your own skirt pattern! *SAY WHAT???*
Yep… Instead of having you buy the pattern, I’m going to teach you how to create it for yourself! It is a VERY simple skirt pattern which will fit you as perfectly as possible, if you follow the instructions! 🙂
Intrigued? Excited? Terrified? No need to worry, I’ll be right there, along for the ride with you!
Saucy Skirt Sewalong Schedule
The Saucy Skirt Sewalong will run over several weeks. I know you’re gonna want to get crackin’ on it at once, and rush through the instructions, but nope. I’m not gonna let you rush it!
So, this is the planned Saucy Skirt sewalong schedule:
- 15th January: Day 1 – Supplies List
- 21st January: Day 2 – Measurements and Pattern Drafting
- 22nd January: Day 3 – Fabric Selection
- 28th January: Day 4 – Prepping the Fabric
- 29th January: Day 5 – Sewing the Toile / Muslin
- 4th February: Day 6 – Test the Fit
- 5th February: Day 7 – Cutting out the Skirt
- 11th February: Day 8 – Inserting the Zipper
- 12th February: Day 9 – Sewing the Skirt
- 18th February: Day 10 – Add the Facing
- 19th February: Final Photos!
As you can see, I’m going to be running it over the weekends so that it isn’t too overwhelming!
So, lets get crackin’ on the Saucy Skirt Sewalong!
DAY 1: Supplies List
To be better able to crack on with this skirt sewalong, we first need to gather our supplies. This shouldn’t take too long, as I’ve listed the most basic and home friendly items possible, and you have the next week to gathered them up! 🙂
- Tape measure (the flexible version, not the hard DIY kind!)
- Pencil – preferably a 4H
- Light weight paper (preferably in one piece from a roll at the fabric store, but newspaper works well, and you can also tape sheets of printer paper together too if you have nothing else suitable!
- Ruler – I use a 1m metal rule, but 30cm stolen from the kids also works!
- Set square or pattern master – this is to maintain accurate angles, but a protractor will work for those who aren’t ready to invest in anything more yet!
- Eraser – ‘cos we all make mistakes!
- 1.5m approx Calico or cheap fabric – this is for the test fit (you can buy this during the week ready for the 21st January!
- Steel dressmaking pins
- Marker pen
- Fabric choice for skirt (Not essential for now, we’ll cover this on 22nd January!)
- Interfacing (either fusible or sew in)
- Fabric weights (cans of beans work well!)
- Zipper suitable for a skirt, and the length depends on your final outcome! (and invisible works well unless you want an exposed zipper at the centre back or centre front.)
- Thread for toiling, and to match your chosen fabric! (The latter isn’t needed til 5th February.)
- Sewing machine or hand sewing needles
- Iron and ironing board
Alrighty… That’s it for today!
I will be creating another one alongside you and using an old pair of sand washed silk trousers for the fabric – yep, I’m gonna be up cycling! 🙂 Now I’ll leave you with a few pics of my recently completed Saucy Skirt. This pattern has so many possible variations, this is it in it’s most basic form… Perfect for a funky fabric! 😉
Next Week: Day 2 – Measurements and Pattern Drafting
Gather what you can this week, and I’ll see you back here on Saturday 21st for Day 2, which will cover taking your measurements and pattern drafting! Exciting! 🙂
Oh, and for Day 2 you’ll DEFINITELY need the tape measure, the hard pencil, the ruler, the set square, the paper and the paper scissors! You can check out Day 2 HERE!
If you want to be kept up to date on new saucy skirt sewalong updates as well as challenges and live online workshops, become a fashion creation subsciber using the form below! 🙂